This Man Reads 2017 Reading Challenges…..
Two years ago I signed up for several Reading Challenges on various websites. The result was that the challenges helped me remain more focused with my reading. So last year I created my own Reading Challenges. They were meant to keep me focused and reading a variety of books. So here is my 2017 version.
I probably should have created these reading challenges back in December, but I was too busy trying to get past 51 books to do it! But you know that they always say,”Better Late than Never”. So here are my 2017 Reading Challenges. My overall reading challenge is to read 60 books. I didn’t reach that goal in 2016, but I did read more books in 2016 that 2015 so maybe I can reach the goal this year!!
I have divided my 2017 Reading Challenge into four sub-reading challenges. The first one is the 2017 Literature Reading Challenge. This challenge is meant to take me out of my reading comfort zone. My comfort zone is composed of mysteries and thrillers. I have set the goal for this Challenge pretty low only 6 books. The books are to be divided as follows.
2017 Literature Reading Challenge
- Two general fiction books, i.e, books where no one is killed or things are blown up!
- Two classics that I was supposed to have read in College or High School.
- Two books that have one an award, like the Pulitzer Prize, the Faulkner award or Man Booker award. Total 6 books
2017 Mystery/Thriller Reading Challenge
The second is my Mystery/Thriller reading challenge. Instead of just saying I am going to read 36 mysteries or thrillers, I have divided this challenge up a little too….
- Six books from a series that I have always wanted to read, but have somehow always put off reading. An example is the Enzo Files series from Peter May. Another example are the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly.
- Six books from series that I need to catch up on for example: Alex Berenson’s John Wells series, Robert Crais’s Elvis Cole series or Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon series!!
- Twelve books from authors and series that I currently read, i.e Joe Pickett from C.J. Box,
- Twelve books from mystery authors that are new to me! One of the ways that I plan to discover new authors is through Mystery Scene magazine. Andrew and Meaghan gave me a subscription for Christmas and just browsing through the first issue. I found several new authors! Thanks!!
2017 Science Fiction and Nonfiction Reading Challenges
These challenges are both pretty straight forward….
- Six Science Fiction books I plan to divide these books any way I want. The books can be written by either familiar or new to me authors/
- Twelve nonfiction books. Basically, they can be anything that catches my fancy!!
Oh, I’ have also created a Kindle/Bookshelf /TBR Pile Challenge! I want 40 of the books to come from books that are either on my bookshelves or on my Kindle! I spent a lot of time collecting books on my Kindle and then never getting around to reading them! Anyone else have that problem!!
Here is my spreadsheet table that I use to keep track of how I’m doing on my various challenges!
|2017 Reading Challenge||Kindle||Bookshelves||Library||Total||Goal||% of Goal|
|2017 Literature Reading Challenge|
|Classics (Books I should have read but didn’t)||0||0||0||2||0.00%|
|2017 Mystery/Thriller Reading Challenge|
|New Series that I have meant to read||0||1||1||6||16.67%|
|Series that I am behind on (i.e. Gabriel Allon)||0||0||0||6||0.00%|
|Current Mystery Authors (series or non-series)||0||0||0||12|
|New Mystery Authors||0||0||0||12|
|2017 Science Fiction /Fantasy Challenge||0||0||0||6||0.00%|
|2017 Nonfiction Reading Challenge||0||0||0||12||0.00%|
|2016 Kindle/Bookshelf Challenge||20||20||20||60|
In my next post I’ll outline the books that I plan to read in January of 2017!! Wish Me Luck!!